Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Social Media Research

This assignment was fairly easy since I use a few of these sites regularly. I ended up using Reddit, Facebook and Twitter for my research. None of them were really that helpful for actual research purposes. Each website, especially Reddit, had things related to nerdy topics but none of them really helped in the rise of geek culture.
I actively use Facebook and Twitter in my personal life though. They have been really helpful for keeping up with old friends and my favorite Youtubers. I also love using Tumblr. It's a picture sharing website that you used to need an account for but is much more open now. It is so much fun to use to find new friends, blog about your feelings and neat things you see, and get to see amazing artwork. You have to be careful with Tumblr though, it's really easy to see some things you would rather not ever see. We call that the dark side of Tumblr, beware the dark side. (They lie about the cookies)

3 comments:

  1. Kelley, I agree that with your particular research topic it will be difficult to find appropriate resources using these tools.

    Sure, there will be some stuff that falls under the much broader category, but not much that will help shed light on your actual research question. You might serendipitously discover something helpful after a while, but it definitely wouldn't be the most effective use of your time if you are looking for sources.

    Also, that's great that you're using Tumblr for these varied purposes and getting a lot out of it. I'm sure all aspiring users would be wise to keep your warning in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi kelly, this is Glenda. I agree with you because I am having a time finding information for my topic. I changed my topic around and still didn't find very much. I will keep in touch . reply

    ReplyDelete
  3. Presentation Feedback:

    Dear Kelly,
    I thought am glad to see how passionate you are about your topic and encourage you to keep expressing your enthusiasm during your presentations. I noticed that you were having some difficulty with sources other than the statistical chart ratings for t.v shows. (Maybe my assumption was wrong). Have you should consider in-cooperating a psychology type of database? You could possibly bring in the idea of how "nerd" culture effects the current culture by discussing the implications popular media has on society.
    Anyways, I hope that was a good suggestion. Good luck with your presentation. To me; you seem to have an idea of what you want to say, but just not sure what sources would help in your presentation.
    P.S: I recently read an article about how the show, The Big Bang Theory, boost the interest of science (getting an educational degree) to younger people. Maybe you could find the article (or something similar) via Google and use it as an example.

    ReplyDelete